Musings of a Taoist. As well as articles and information on the healing arts,cooking, yoga, qigong, life and longevity skills




Sunday, May 16, 2010

Going Green

It was my good fortune to write for the KC Wellness magazine since its very first issue. A short article on the benefits of tea.
It was a blessing, as well,to work with editor, Jeanette Schoenlaub-Jackson. She was open and generous and gracious and funny. And a good friend. A friend whom, in the ten years we worked together, I never spoke with face to face. Only over the phone. We always meant to get together in St Jo or KC, but it never happened.
It was Jeanette's idea for me to write a green collumn, which I did for a year. It was good fun and a source of learning and inspiration for me.This was the first column, written in October, 2007.
With love to my editor, Jeanette Schoenlaub-Jackson, 1955-2008

Jeanette is my editor. She is also my friend. I have never met her, I have never even seen her, but I know she exists. Like some bodiless holy ghost, over the phone I pray for 500 more words and she grants the boon and I am joyful in the Lord. We talk about other things than just the paper. We talk about yoga and qigong, ghost whisperers and clotheslines. Jeanette likes her sheets best after they have dried in the sun, been rained on, and then air dried again. I kind of know what she means. I have just made a returning, of sorts, back to an earlier time in my life when rows of white cloth diapers set sail in my yard. A different time not that long ago. How did I forget such a simple joy. The sheets smell great. And if you think the towels and clothes feel too rough, just put them on air fluff for 5 to 10 minutes. You will like it. It becomes habit forming. A habit involving fresh air is a good thing.

Garden talk led to the fact that she wanted someone to write a "green column." She had someone, lost someone, wanted someone to write this column so dear to her heart.
"Why don’t you write it?" she slipped in between rain barrels and ghost tales.
"Your kidding. Me? A regular commitment in 500 words or less?"
"I don’t want to pressure," she said, the third time she had brought it up.
"I..I..I...like to write articles!" I stuttered.
"Yes, I know. Long articles." she said.
"I am no expert on going green. I am just a material girl finding my way!" I protested.
"Well then, you would be perfect."
Mmm. I guess that made sense in a holy ghost sort of way.

I should relish the idea. Lao-tzu is one of my favorites, and he is one terse writer. A sage of few words yet packing a punch. Or as the pithy one would have it, "Make the small big and the few many." There. That was easy. Wisdom that could change a planet in eight words or less. We the people could make small, every day choices in our own back yard and together, create a major shift.

We no longer have the time, luxury or confidence to wait for elected officials to take the lead. We can no longer lay blame at another’s door and believe "they" are the problem. The great sage Pogo discovers this truth in Walt Kelly’s classic comic strip, "We have met the enemy and He is us." Just as true, thankfully, is the Hopi saying, "We are the ones we have been waiting for."

Blessing or cursing people. It is our choice. We have a big corner to turn. It will take the combined effect of many small actions to create a large movement. If everyone makes a few changes it will have a major impact. And the greatest impact is upon our consciousness. As we open our minds to new possibilities, small steps are followed by more and before we know it we are on a pathway that feels good and makes us want to do more and, well, feels like fun. Like sheets sailing in the breeze.

footnote:

Still love my clothesline. Love my fresh sheets. I have not yet gotten rain barrels. They are still on my list to do. I have dug some rain gardens which seem to be helping with runoff in my studio.

Since the column I have planted an orchard of fruit trees.
This year peaches are forming for the first time. I will have peaches this year! Also, I have spied my first apple! Praise be!

I am building a coop and getting chickens this week, (more on that later). I hope to have goats by the end of the year.

One step leads to another and puts one upon a path which leads to fresh air, fresh eggs and best of all, a fresh mindset as to what is possible in the city!

I think of you often Jeanette as you whisper in my ear and heart. I love you friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment